“Can you make money online in Kenya? Like, making real money?”
These are exactly, the questions that oscillate in minds of most doubting Kenyans who really are afraid of losing their hard-earned money to online scams.
Of course nobody would want to lose their money to the “get -rich-quickly” gurus, who lure you with the concept of showing you how to build a “million-dollar” business by doing insanely simple jobs.
But since I value you so much, I don’t want you to fall into their traps. Which is why I have prepared this guide to show you the legit and profitable methods that you can use to earn money working online from home.
Whether you are a university student, a jobless mum or an employee who’s paid meager digits, this guide answers your questions.
Some of these ways will require time and patience just like any other business probably, 3-5 months to make a reasonable income.
Ready to learn? Well, let’s dive in.
1. Start an online shop/eCommerce website
An eCommerce website refers to a type of business that involves the exchange of goods and services through the internet. It’s a type of trade where products are sold online.
A good example of an online store/E-commerce website in Kenya is the popular Jumia.co.ke.
The eCommerce industry in Kenya is rapidly growing. In fact, at the end of 2019, Kenya had 2.61 million online shoppers.
Which means starting an eCommerce website and sell your products online is a great way to generate a good income online in Kenya.
Jumia for example, reported a net profit of € 2million ( approximately Ksh 255.76 Million) in their quarter year income report last year. That’s a great income.
Kenyans seem to enjoy the fact that they can shop online in the comfort of their homes using a smartphone and the goods delivered to their doorsteps at an incredibly good price.
Well, is it complicated to create a profitable online shop? If not what do I need?
First of all, things, find a perfect product for your audience. In short, think about getting a suitable product that your ideal buyers might require.
If it’s about men’s clothes well and good. That could be your perfect product for your ideal buyers.
Secondly, you need to create a website to start selling your products online. To create any website, you have to register a domain, buy hosting, and install your CMS.
Yawn! What are those stuffs!
Well, a domain is your website’s online brand name in form of the ‘www.yourwebsitename.com‘ or dot org, dot co. ke, and many more varying with the extension of your preference. For example this site’s domain is ( www.bloggerkenya.co.ke).
Now if you’ve chosen to sell men’s fashion wear online you can probably get a domain such as “www.smartmen.com” or “www.fancymenwear.co.ke” and many more. I hope you get my point.
After that, you need to buy hosting for your online store.
A web hosting space is a service provided to make sure that your website does not go offline. It is also where your web files are stored.
Usually, you cannot genuinely start any website without purchasing this service.
If you are just starting out I prefer you choosing a good company with enough infrustruces to support your eCommerce website.
From our experience Bluehost, is an ideal solution for ecommerce hosting.
This company offers web hosting solution for an eCommerce site or any online shop that you can dream of.
Their prices are pretty fair and clean. Their eCommerce hosting starts as low as $15.95 (Ksh 1595) per month.
Unfortunately, to achieve that fair price you have to pay for 36 months at a go.
With as low as $15.98 per month, this is what you get from Bluehost eCommerce web hosting.
- You have the potential to sell as many products as possible on your online store without any limitations.
- Bluehost gives you a free professional theme that is specifically designed for an eCommerce site.
- You get Woocommerce automatically installed for you. Woocommerce is an open-source platform for an eCommerce website that is highly compatible with WordPress.
- From Bluehost, you also get full support from their technical team. In case you are stuck, they are ready to solve your issue immediately.
- You also receive a free domain and free SSL certificate for your Woocommerce website.
- Bluehost also install Jetpack for you which is a tool that enhances the performance and security of your online store.
- Furthermore, the company installs the top payment accepting services for you so that you can collect payment from your buyers with ease.
If you are just stuck on where to start to create your online store, just dash onto Bluehost live chat and they will guide you step by step until you have your website ready and fully functional.
Once have your online store ready you need to optimize it for search engines. Research indicates that 53% of online buyers make a Google search before making an online purchase.
Apart from promoting your business on social media optimizing it for search engines like Google will help you boost.
That is buyers can find on Google where they can buy from your company.
Well then, how do you go about it? Take a look at this eCommerce SEO guide from Backlinko.
2. Start a blogging site and monetize it
Creating a blog is another awesome way to earn money online in Kenya.
Whether you are a university/college student, a jobless graduate, or a stay-at-home mom blogging can give you a handful of income on the side hustle.
By the way, what is a blog?
“ A blog is an informational website with posts arranged in a reverse chronological order”.
Oohoo! That’s too formal and so technical. I didn’t mean to kick you with these huge terms, but since I love you so much 😍 I will explain everything to you.
Do you enjoy reading our blog? Join the BK Community and be eligible for exclusive guides and free offers.
Well, a blog is a type of website that contains posts, created purposely for information or entertainment in which these posts are arranged decently according to their time of publication.
Haven’t understood yet?
Ok, right now you are on my blog and whatever you are reading is a blog post. Over my home page, I have these blog posts arranged according to their time of publication.
The latest posts fare first followed by the older posts.
Creating a blog in Kenya is not complicated. I once thought that I had to know how to code to start and run a blog but I was wrong since I didn’t need to know HTML, CSS, or JS to have my blog.
I even don’t know what HTML is and how to use it, but you’ll be surprised to tell you that I designed this blog myself.
And it looks very professional such that my friends once asked me to refer them to the “web designer” who created the blog for me.
In the same case, you can create a blog by yourself and still make a living from it. How?
First, you need to understand what you want to write about. The topics that evoke you. In short, what kind of information do you love hearing and you would like to share with your audience? Is it about fashion, is about freelance writing, is about technology?
Once you’ve spotted your niche, your next step would be registering a domain and buy hosting.
This time I will not tell you to head over to Bluehost neither HostGator. The most basic plans from these companies cost $70 (7000 ksh) annually.
Starting a blog from a scratch you don’t need lots of server resources and it would be worthwhile starting with the basic plans and upgrade as your blogging site grows.
There are pretty several companies that offer cheap hosting and domain registration.
HostPinnacle for example gives you a full hosting package at ksh 1500 annually. That’s as cheap as a pair of trousers. Although there other plans which go as high as ksh 10000, I wouldn’t recommend going for them since you’ll be paying more than what your blog will be using.
Nonetheless, HostPinnacle is not the only cheap web hosting provider in Kenya. There are several companies that also offer solid web hosting solutions at the same prices. Here are the most common companies.
- Truehost Cloud.
- Kenya Web Experts.
- Deep Africa.
- EAC directory.
After creating your blog you have to start writing very informative blog posts.
Posts that pass a solid message to your readers. Then promote your posts. You can check this guide by Coschedule and learn how you can grow traffic for your brand new blog.
Now, you have a good traffic size for your blog. The next step would be monetizing your blog posts and this lands us on the most interesting part of blogging. Making money from your blog.
Here are the profitable ways in which you can make money online while blogging in Kenya.
- Advertising – you can join Google AdSense and earn by publishing adverts in your blog. Or else companies may contact you and ask to pay for an Ad space on your blogging site.
- Publish Sponsored Posts – If you are not interested in running ads you can opt to approach a certain company and make a deal of creating content that is meant to promote the company’s products.
- Affiliate Marketing – this is a type of an online program where you earn a commission for each qualified sign up made through your link. From your blog, you can create content made to convince your audience to buy a particular product. When they do so through your link, you earn a commission.
- Paid Reviews – some companies related to your niche can pay you for trying out their products and write an amazing review about them.
- Selling Ebooks – with a tool like Canva you can create an educative ebook about your blogging niche and sell it online using the Woocommerce plugin.
- As a consultant – some online entrepreneurs or bloggers can pay you to help them grow traffic for their business’ websites and blogs.
Can you really make money blogging online in Kenya?
Very much money indeed. If you are ready to work hard and do blogging like a business, you have the potential to make $1500 ( Ksh 150000) a month.
Well then, if you want me to help you create a blogging site for you, after this, you can leave a comment below and let me know how I can help you. I will personally help you.
3. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the process by which you earn a commission for recommending a product from a certain merchant.
When you join an affiliate program from a company of your interest, you are provided with a unique tracking link which you use to refer potential buyers to the merchant’s website.
If customers use your link to visit the website and after which they make a purchase you are accredited a small commission.
Once the cumulative earnings reach the threshold of withdrawal and their time mature, you can withdraw them using the money processing services like Mpesa, PayPal, Payoneer, or ACH depending on the services that the company you are affiliated with uses.
Affiliate marketing is regarded as much simpler than other methods of making money online since the concept behind it is finding potential buyers and convince them to buy a particular product.
If you are searching for the best affiliate programs, the affiliate networks have a lot of products for you to promote. Here is a list of the best affiliate networks for you.
Wondering how much you can make from affiliate marketing? The fact is that you are not limited. Here is a good example of Ryan’s blog.
From the Bluehost affiliate’s program alone, he makes approximately $20000 each month. At least that can inspire you to start an affiliate marketing business and still draw a handsome income.
However, affiliate marketing does not entail sending your affiliate links vastly on social media neither is it all about writing a blog post and place your links all over your content.
If you want to learn all about affiliate marketing and the hacks to implement for higher sales I would refer you to read this guide.
With the robust growth of the internet worldwide, there is every reason that most business owners are opting to give their businesses online exposure.
As per Netcraft’s 2020 research and survey, by January 2020 there were approximately 1.295 billion websites available on the world wide web (internet).
That being said, these websites give huge opportunities for freelancers all over the globe.
If you are a web developer, a web designer, a skilled article writer, good in digital marketing among others, freelancing could be your pick. Working anywhere at any time.
Freelancing is among the online business in Kenya that requires less among of capital to get started. What you require is a PC or a laptop with an internet connection and finally paying for a high-quality freelancing course.
As a freelancer, you can earn money online in Kenya by availing of either of these services.
- Freelance writing – here you get hired to write high-quality articles in the niche industry that you are skilled at. To learn more on how to be a freelance writer in Kenya hope into Walter Akolo’s guide.
- Content Marketing – if marketing is your passion a company can hire you to help them market their content as well as developing a great content marketing strategy for their business. This would involve generating valuable traffic from search engines, emails, social media among others.
- Copywriting – it entails creating content meant to trigger customers to complete a certain purpose in a website such as making a purchase, signing up for a course or newsletter. As a copywriter, you need to create quality sales pages, articles, sales copy for emails, or another marketing object for your client.
- Web Designing – when you have the essential skills to design a website you are one step ahead of others. Clients can come and hire you to design a website.
- Web development – this one needs you to have a good background in HTML, CSS, Java, or in short, you need coding skills to get through. As a web developer, you can get hired to create and design a website, web apps, or software.
- Graphic designing – you can get hired to create presentable infographics, ebook covers, logos, and presentations.
- Virtual Assistant – As a VA, you can get paid to edit blog posts for your clients, for social media management, administrative support among others.
- Video and podcast editing – freelancers can get paid to edit video content as well as podcasts.
When you’ve realized your field of expertise, you can move on to freelancing websites such as Upwork, Fiverr, and Freelancer.com or even ProBlogger where you can apply for freelancing jobs.
5.Sell online courses
Today’s technology has entirely changed how teaching and learning are done. So cool is it to students and instructors that they no longer need to be physically in a classroom to learn or teach.
Since both the tutors and learners can access the internet, using either of their available digital devices ( smartphone or a PC) the ‘teaching-learning‘ process takes on with ease.
A survey of about 2500 companies found out that, those with introspective training programs possess 218% higher income per employee and 24% higher profit margins.
How about if you start your online course and make money online just like the eLearning providers. You would probably be investing in one of the most profitable online industries.
To start an e-learning platform and sell your online courses, begin by realizing the kind topics that you feel you are very skillful at. Think about your talents, interests, or your life experiences.
For example, if you are a skilled web designer you will probably think of starting an online course showing your trainees how to code and design a cool website.
That is not over, are you sure that your topic is profitable? Are there people who have the same interest? It doesn’t make any sense when you create a course on a topic that has a low volume of interested individuals. Be sure that your topic or industry which you want to offer an online course on has high odds of conversion.
What follows is that you need to gather your teaching materials as well as creating a perfect structure of your course modules. At this stage, make your videos, PDF copies, templates, spreadsheets, or any other teaching supporting material.
Group your course content into common themes to create a rational idea. You can use the LMS (learning management systems) such as Thinkfic, Learn Dash, Talent LMS among others.
Now set a good price for your course which is favorable to your audience. I am pretty sure that you understand your audience’s budget very well.
Nevertheless, selling online courses is still a good way of making a reasonable amount of money online in Kenya. If you follow the correct strategies for creating and marketing your online course you are also capable of building an iconic million-dollar online business.
As from Teachable’s data, it is revealed that an average online course seller makes $25000 selling a single online course.
If you had a feeling of creating an online course and build your online hustle, I would advise you to chip in and venture into e-learning platforms.
From entertainment, eLearning to business advertising, videos have proven their purpose and they are clearly showing an index of improvement for the past three years.
Nowadays, most businesses are strategizing their marketing channels, heavily utilizing video hosting platforms such as YouTube to trigger to boost their revenue.
From statistics done by Google, it is revealed that 2/3 of shoppers were inspired to purchase a product by a video. For this reason, YouTube has rapidly grown making it the second largest search engine after google. Not even Bing or Baidu can outdo YouTube.
Whether you are planning to start a vlog to earn money online, for celebrity purposes, or boost your business’s sales, YouTube is a place to be.
What is cool about YouTube is that it’s a free platform. Yeah, sure! I mean you upload videos for free.
What you need is creating essential content for your audience with the help of your camcorder and video editing software. The rest would be standing before the camera and do or speak your stuff. Easily as it sounds.
However, you need to promote your YouTube videos and get more views as well as growing your subscription list. This is of course not a simple task but it needs you to think outside the box.
I don’t mean to discourage you but is it logical to create a video, upload it on YouTube, and expect a blast of subscribers and views. It can’t. If so, how do you fix it?
First, ensure that your video content appeals to your audience. Don’t forget that your video can be so fancy but if it breaks the rule of ‘quality video content’ it’s all vanity.
In the same case, you can’t watch a video that does not satisfy your needs.
Just imagine you were searching for funny videos on YouTube and then you ended up landing on one of those boring videos. Would you continue watching it? You will immediately leave the channel and never come back.
The same scenario here. If you don’t invest plan awesome content for your videos the chances of succeeding are very slim.
By this, I don’t mean that you should overthink. Just think of something that has not been created before in your niche category. Or else, think of sharing your experiences like what the Wajesus Family YouTube channel does.
This guy is coming up very well and at the time of writing this post, his YouTube channel had 350k subscribers. He made it simple! Sharing his day to day activities.
As long as your video content is passing a message to your audience, just get started immediately.
After that, use a good camera to shoot your video.
It might be expensive though but a good camera (camcorder) will produce quality videos which will make your work more professional. Searching for one, the Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera is a lit choice for you.
If your budget is too tight still, there are good cameras at an affordable price such as the Polo Camcorder.
Once you have a good camera, shoot your video, make edits using a video editing software such as Adobe, and once done, upload your amazing on YouTube.
YouTube will automatically send notifications to your subscribers informing them that you’ve uploaded a new video.
You can also promote your new video to your followers on Instagram, Facebook, and even on Twitter.
How to make money from YouTube
These are the most popular ways that you can monetize your YouTube videos.
- Advertising – youtube helps you to monetize your videos by placing ads in your videos. However, to be eligible for the YouTube Partners program your channel must have a whooping 4000 watch hrs and 1000 subscribers. From there you can link your account with the Google Adsense account to start showing ads on your videos.
- Affiliate Marketing – you can create videos meant to entice your viewers to purchase a certain product. From there you can place your affiliate links in your video description.
- Brand Sponsorship – if your channel is receiving a good number of subscribers and views, you can earn money as an influencer. Some of the companies can pay you for just featuring their products in your video.
- YouTube Premium membership – YouTube has a program that helps its users watch ads-free videos. But for them to achieve it they need to pay a subscription fee of $9.99. As a YouTuber when the subscribed user watches your videos you earn a small amount of money of about 55% of the amount paid by the premium subscriber.
- Fans crowdfunding – you can start a project and ask your fans to contribute and support it.
Dropshipping is an online retail business model whereby the retailer (also referred to as the dropshipping company) accepts orders but does not hold goods sold on the stock.
Usually, the dropshipping company is only responsible for Marketing, taking orders but transfers the orders to the third party company that owns the stock.
I know you haven’t understood yet, so let me break it down.
Say for example you are the buyer and then here is Mr. Kamau who is the drop shipper or in other words, he owns a dropshipping company.
When you visit Mr. Kamau’s website, where he sells the goods online he will pick your orders and transfer them to an eCommerce company such as AliExpress. Then the company (AliExpress) will ship the product and deliver it to you.
Literally, Mr. Kamau does not own the product on the stock rather he will go to AliExpress, buy it there, enter your shipping details and the goods will be delivered to you. You get it? Alright.
So, how do you start a dropshipping company and how do you make money from dropshipping in Kenya.
It’s not complicated to start a dropshipping company. What you require is finding products that pique your targeted customers’ interest from a company like AliExpress.
Then you need to create a website which you will be using to sell the goods online and accept orders.
From there you will set the price for your product.
Say for example you are selling a Nokia 2.2 smartphone on your website. And the actual price for Nokia 2.2 on AliExpress is Ksh 9400 you can set your price as 10400 on your website and when a buyer purchases it from your site you would have earned a profit of Ksh 1000.
It’s that simple. For more details on how to start a dropshipping online business, this guide from Oberlo will take you through.
8. Online Trading
As long as you own a device that can access you to an internet connection, online trading allows you to make money online in Kenya.
Thanks to the ICT companies in Kenya for helping the internet world in Keny nonissue
Due to digitalization and technological advancements such as AI and trading algorithms even a beginner can dive into online trading without any barrier and still make money.
This is why online trading in Kenya is undoubtedly taking some good roots.
Here are four different kinds of online trading.
- Forex Trading – it entails buying and selling of currency to make a profit due to differences in the value of the currency in the global economic landscape.
- Binary Options Trading –With binary options, you don’t buy or sell an asset. Instead, you place a bet on whether the price of an asset will go up or down within a specific period. You are the one who sets the expiry date, once the option expires, your account is credited when you make a profit and debited when you make a loss.
- CDF Trading – A contract for difference (CFD) is a form of day trading whereby traders speculate the price movements of commodities, shares, indices, treasuries, and currencies. There is no direct buying or selling of a trading instrument.
At the moment you are now aware of the fundamentals of online trade. Therefore, you’ll need to decide on the kind of assets or securities you want to trade.
What’s next you’ll be required to make a good choice here. That is, choosing the right broker or brokerage firm through which you’ll access the markets. you make period
The broker you choose will have a direct influence on the kind of securities you’ll be able to trade, the kind of trading tools you’ll have at your disposal, how much money you’ll pay in fees, and the kind of final returns you can expect on your trades.
You have to get a broker that would charge relatively low fees while still providing you with a full suite of resources to make your trading experience easier.
Once done, develop a strategy for your online trading business. Conceptualize your ideas, the plan s well as diversifying your trading capital.
To increase your odds of making more money from online trading, use technological tools such as stock screeners, trading bots, and trading
I hope my guide taught you something.
Now, let me turn over to you. Which of these online making methods would you like to start? Is it blogging? Is it dropshipping or do you opt to start freelance writing?
Let me hear from you right in the comment section.
In the simplest language, I am the guy responsible for making sure that each piece we publish here meets our reader’s perception. If you need quality and SEO friendly content, shot me an email right away.