Searching for the best and profitable methods in which you can earn money online in Kenya?You are definitely in the right place.
During my research, I came along so many ways but I decided to brief everything to what I felt was suitable and more profitable for online enterprenuers like you.
For this reason, I had to cut off that 100+ list to this list of 10. I can promise you that if you approach either of these with a lot of keenness I am damn sure that you won’t regret it.Check out the profitable ways to make reasonable income online. Click To Tweet
I really value your time I don’t want you to begin venturing into methods that won’t bring you any reasonable online income.
But before all, I want to disclose the myth that making money online is an easy go process.
Not bad, but this notion of ‘get-rich-quickly‘ is what makes most newbies fall into the trap of scammers.
What follows is that they are conned and they end up losing confidence in online opportunities.
If you had that mentality I am really sorry for here at Bloggerkenya we don’t give a concern on those programs and we don’t bother sharing them.
Don’t be fooled by those guys who promise you that they can teach you how to build a million-dollar business by doing insanely simple jobs.
Like seriously, is it really possible! Is it even logical?
Whether you had started a business before or you already have one I know you are aware of what it means to make a reasonable income from your business.
You need to work harder and smarter. The reverse can’t happen.
If you really want to know the best ways that you can use to generate an online income in Kenya you would probably not want to miss this list.Therefore, let’s have a deep dive.
1. Start an online shop/store/e-commerce website
Ecommerce refers to the exchange of goods and services through the internet. It’s a type of trade where products are sold online.
A good example of an online store/ecommerce website in Kenya is the popular Jumia.co.ke.
Over the few years the ecommerce industry in Kenya has been experiencing rapid growth. Websites like Jumia, Kilimall and Jiji.ke leading the market and making a good income from their businesses.
Jumia for example, reported a net profit of € 2million in their quarter year income report. That’s a great income.
On the year 2019, Kenya was reported to have 21.3 million active internet users. Out of that huge figure, there were 21.6 million online shoppers.
That made Kenya as the third country in Africa with the largest number of online buyers as Nigeria at the top followed by South Africa.
Kenyans seem to enjoy the fact that they can shop online in the comfort their homes using a smartphone and the goods delivered to their doorsteps at an incredibly good price.
If you’re then planning to start an online business in Kenya deciding to create an online store is a one bright idea.
Well, is it complicated to create a profitable ecommerce website?
Definitely no and not as pretty easy as you might think of. If you would like to understand more about ecommerce in Kenya and how to start one take a look at this guide by Getsales Africa.
If you did not read through the guide, these are the basic steps that you need to create an online store in Kenya.
First of all things, find a perfect product for your audience. In short, aim on creating a relevant product that your ideal buyers might require. If it’s about men’s cloths well and good. That could be your perfect product for your ideal buyers.
Secondly, create your website and start selling your products. To create any website, you need to register a domain, buy hosting and install your CMS.
A company like Truehost Cloud offers quality hosting with all the infrastructures for online stores at ksh 14499 annually. You can check their pricing and plans here. From there you can install Pretashop which is among the leading Ecommerce CMS.
Thirdly, make sure that your ecommerce website is optimized for search engines like Google. Research indicates that 53% of online buyers make a Google search before making an online purchase.
That’s it. If you ensure that your online shop/ecommerce website is optimized for SEO you would be giving your online business an exposure to help boost your sales.
Well then, how do you go about it? Take a look at this ecommerce seo guide from Backlinko.
2. Start a blogging site and monetize it
Blogs are so common in the internet and I know that somewhere you met one. A good example of a blog is this (bloggerkenya.co.ke) that you are reading.
To elaborate the simplest meaning of a blog, its an online journal or an informational website with posts arranged in a reverse chronological order.
Like any kind of a website, to start a blog in Kenya you need to register a domain name as well as buying the hosting space. To check how you can create a blog in Kenya without knowing any coding don’t hesitate to have a deep reading of this easy guide.
Now, you must be wondering how you can generate a good income from blogs and whether it’s possible to make money blogging in Kenya.
Well, you are not the only one. Once you have created your blog as outlined from that guide, you can implement the following methods to make money.
- Advertising – you can join the Google AdSense and earn by publishing adverts in your blog. Or else companies may contact you and ask to pay for an Ad in your blogging site.
- Publish Sponsored Posts – if you are not interested in running ads you can opt to approach a certain company and make a deal of creating content that is all about the company’s products.
- Affiliate Marketing – this is a type of an online program where you earn a commission for each qualified sign up made through your link. From your blog you can create content made to convince your audience to buya particular product. When they do so through your link you earn a commission.
- Paid Reviews – some companies related to your niche can pay you by trying out their products and write an amazing review about them.
- Selling Ebooks – with a tool like canvas, you can create an educative ebook about your blogging niche and sell it online using Woocommerce plugin.
- As a consultant – if your blog is receiving some sense of popularity, other online enterprenuers or bloggers can pay you to help them grow their traffic and sales just by a piece of advice.
In that list of among the few ways that you can earn a living via blogging not all may work effectively. I don’t guarantee that all can work.
It’s really a toil! I mean real hard work and most importantly employ the win-win strategy. By this I mean that you should first priotize on helping your audience by giving quality information and they will certainly convert.
3. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the process by which you earn a commission for recommending a product from a certain merchant.
When you join an affiliate program from a particular company you are provided with a unique tracking link which you use to refer potential buyers to the merchant’s website.
When they customer uses your link to visit the website and makes a purchase you are accredited a small commission.
Once the cummulative earnings reach the threshold withdrawal and it’s time matures, you can withdraw them using the money processing services like Mpesa, PayPal, Payoneer or ACH depending on the services that the company you are affiliated to uses.
Affiliate marketing is regarded as much simpler that other methods of making money online.
The concept behind it is finding potential buyers and convince them to buy a particular product.
If you are searching for best affiliate programs the affiliate networks has a lot of products for you to promote. Here is a list of the best affiliate networks.
- CJ Affiliate.
- Amazon Associates.
- eBay partner network.
- Rakuten Marketing.
- Jumia affiliates.
Wondering how much you can make from affiliate marketing? The fact is that you are not limited. Here is a good example from Ryan’s blog.
From Bluehost affiliate’s program alone, he is able to make approximately $7000 each month.
However, affiliate marketing is not all about linking writing content in your blog and then boom, you include your links all over your blog posts content. Neither is it sending your affiliate links vastly in social media or email campaigns.
If you want to learn all about affiliate marketing and the hacks to implement for higher sales I would refer you to read this guide.
With the robust growth of internet in Kenya and worldwidely, there is every reason that most business owners are opting to give their businesses an online exposure.
As per Netcraft’s 2020 research and survey, by January 2020 they reported 1.295 billion websites available in the world wide web (internet).
Although the number escalate and decrease each minute.
With this immense number of websites online, it gives huge opportunities for freelancers all over the globe.
If you are a web developer, web designer, article writer, good in digital marketing among others, freelancing could be your pick. Working anywhere at anytime.
Upwork reported that freelancing industry worth $1 trillion which equates to nearly 5% of U.S GDP. With this in mind, freelancing is well compared to major industries such as construction.
Over the past six years (2014 – 2020) the number of freelancers has increased by four million.
This meaning that, the industry is expecting vast expansion thereby more people are opting to Join the industry.
These are the services offered by freelancers.
- Freelance writing – here you get hired to write articles in the niche industry that you are skilled at. To learn more on how to be a freelancer writer in Kenya hope into Walter Akolo’s guide.
- Content Marketing – if marketing is your passion a company can hire you to help them market their content. This could involve generating valuable traffic from search engines, emails, social media among others.
- Copywrighting – it entails creating content meant to trigger a customers complete a certain purpose such as making a purchase, signing up for a course or newsletter. As a copywriter you needed to create a quality sales page, articles, sales copy for emails or other marketing object for your client.
- Web Designing – when you have essential skills to design and a website you are way ahead of others. Clients can come over to you and hire you to design them a website.
- Web development – this one needs to have a good background on HTML, CSS, Java or in short, you need coding skills to get through. As web developer, you can get hired to create and design a website, web apps or applications.
- Graphic designing – you can get hired to create presentable infographics, ebook covers, logos and presentations.
- Virtual Assistant – As a VA, you can get paid to edit blog posts for your clients, social media management, administrative support among others.
- Video and podcast editing – freelancers can get paid to edit video content as well as podcasts.
When you’ve realized you field of expertise, you can move on to freelancing websites such as Upwork, Fiverr and Freelancer.com to get clients.
5.Sell online courses
The today’s technology has entirely changed how teaching and learning is done. So cool is it to students and instructors that no longer need to be physically in a classroom to learn or teach.
Since the tutors and learners can access the internet, using either of their available digital device ( smartphone or a PC) the ‘teaching-learning‘ process take on with ease.
Over the past four years the E-Learning industry have been noted to grow their retention rates from. 25% to 60% unlike the face to face learning which is configured to have a low engagement rate of 8% – 10%.
Moreover, a survey of about 2500 companies found out that, those with introspective training programs possess 218% higher income per employee and 24% higher profit margins.
By 2025, the E-Learning industry is projected to be worth $325 billion worldwidely.
How about if you start an online course and make money online just like the eLearning providers such as Coursera and Udemy. You would be probably investing in one of the most profitable online industry.
To start an e-learning platform and sell your online courses, beginner by realizing the kind topics that you feel you are very skillful at. Think about your talents, interests or your life experiences.
For example if you are a skilled web designer you will probably think of starting an online course showing your trainees on how to code and design a cool website.
That is not over, are you sure that your topic is profitable? Are there people who have the same interest? It doesn’t make any sense when you create a course on a topic that has low volume of readers. Be sure of your topic or industry that you want to offer your online course on.
What follows is that you need to gather your teaching materials as well as creating a perfect structure of your course modules. At this stage, start to make your video, PDF copies, templates, spreadsheets or any other teaching supporting material.
Group your course content into common themes to create a rational idea. You can use the LMS (learning management systems) such as Thinkfic, Learn Dash, Talent LMS among others.
Now set a good price for your course which is favorable to your audience. I am pretty sure that you understand your audience’s budget well.
Well, you have everything set and your online course is ready to go boom! How do go about it, check this guide and learn how to market your brand new online course.
Nevertheless, selling online courses is still a good way of making a reasonable amount of money online in Kenya. If you follow the correct strategies to creating and marketing your online course you are also capable if building and iconic million-dollar online business.
As from Teachable’s data, is revealed that an average online course seller makes $25000 selling a single online course.
If you had a feeling of creating an online course and build your online hustle, I would really advise you to chip in and venture into e-learning platforms.
From entertainment, eLearning to business advertising, videos have proven their purpose and they are clearly showing an index of improve for the past three years.
Now days, most businesses are strategizing their marketing channels, heavily utilizing video hosting platforms such YouTube to trigger to boost their revenue.
From statistics done by Google, it is revealed that 2/3 shoppers were inspired to purchase a product by a video. For this reason, YouTube has really grown making it the second largest search engine after google. Not even Bing or Baidu can see YouTube.
Whether you are planning start a vlog to earn money online, for celebrity or to boost your business’s sales, YouTube is a place to be.
What is cool about YouTube is that it’s a free platform. Yeah I mean you upload videos for free.
What you need is to create essential content for your audience with the help of your camcorder and a video editing software. The rest would be standing before the camera and do or speak your stuff. Easily as it sounds.
But how do you grow your video’s views as well as increasing you lr subscription list? That’s where you need to toil. At this stage you should be ready to face rejection, critics and frequent disappointments.
I don’t mean do discourage you but is it logical to create a video, upload it on YouTube and expect a blast of subscribers and and views. Actually it can’t. If so, how do you fix it?
First, ensure that your video content appeals your audience. Don’t forget that your video can be so fancy but if it breaks the rule of ‘quality video content’ it’s all vanity.
Even for yourself, you can’t watch a video that does not satisfy your needs.
By this I don’t mean that you should overthink. Just think if something that has not been created before in your niche category. Or else, think of sharing your experiences like what the Wajesus Family YouTube channel does.
This guy is really coming up and at the time of writing this post his YouTube channel had 350k subscribers. He made it simple! Sharing his day to day activities.
As long as your video content is bringing in some sense just get started immediately.
After accomplishing that, use a good camera to shoot your video.
It might be expensive though but do remember how frustrated you were when you came across a video on YouTube whose quality was not appetizing.
A good camera (camcorder) will produce quality videos which will make your work more professional. If you are looking for one, the Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera is a lit choice for you.
If your budget is too tight still there are good cameras at an affordable price for such the Polo Camcorder.
You can view the pricing from Jumia right here.
After getting a good camera to shoot your video, you can make edits using the video editing softwares and once done, bring your video online by uploading it on YouTube.
YouTube will automatically send notifications to your subscribers informing them that you’ve uploaded a new video.
You can also promote your new video to your followers on Instagram, Facebook and even on Twitter.
How to make money from YouTube
This are the most popular ways that you can monetize your YouTube videos.
- Advertising – youtube helps you to monetize your videos by placing ads in your video content. However, to be eligible to join the YouTube Partners program your channel must have attain a whooping 4000 watch hrs and 1000 subscribers. From there you can link your account with the Google adsense account where you will receive an email confirming whether your application was successful.
- Affiliate Marketing – you can create videos meant to entice your viewers purchase a certain product. From there you can place your affiliate links in your video description.
- Brand Sponsorship – if your channel is receiving a good numbers of subscribers and viewers, you can earn money as influencer. Some of the companies can pay you for just featuring their products in your video.
- YouTube Premium membership – YouTube has a program that helps it’s users to watch ads free videos. But for you to achieve it you need to pay a subscription fee of $9.99. As a YouTuber when the subscribed user watches your videos you earn a small amount of money of about 55% of the amount paid.
- Fans crowd funding – you can projects and ask your fans to contribute and support them.